NEENA: Nee Versus Na


How many of us would call it an extra-challenging and thought-provoking movie? I would.

A quite matured plot coupled with complacent presentation keep it moving.

When I was invited by my little cousins to watch NEENA at KAIRALI/SREE Theatre, I was less-excited. I preferred watching Oru Second Class Yathra to NEENA. Infact, the movie poster of two handcuffed guys and the puzzled look of two cops seemed to be entertaining than an adamant tomboy on a Royal Enfield.

As I learnt more about NEENA through the reviews (sorry, I’ve that bad habit of reading movie blogs); I got perplexed again.

Would my ten year old brother understand the implicit meaning explicitly portrayed? The ‘matured’ sister in me signalled RED for the movie. As luck would have it (probably), my movie buff elder brother gave me an odd look of please. And this ‘over-matured’ kin had to signal GREEN.
"After all, you are the sponsor, bro.." I winked.

START CAMERA, ACTION…..

APOLOGY: I often restrict myself from narrating fresh plots. FYI, STORY is the king here.

WHAT IS SO MUCH APPEALING and DISAPPROVING IN NEENA?

IS IT YOU (NEE) OR ME (NA) ?
     
1. The very title is equally intriguing and intelligent. The first three letters of the name NEENA (Deepti Sati) and the first two letters of the name NALINI (Ann Augustin) together form the title. To a certain extent, it also brings forth the question IS IT (Nee) YOU OR (Na) ME? There is thus an undertone of desire for an unknown object. The further moving plot concretes the same.

2. The subject line is not-so played in Mollywood and familiar with Mallus. But Nalini’s super-benevolence to ‘offer’ her husband to someone (no matter if she knows her or not) is rather ridiculous. Would any wife just ‘give away’ her better-half to another lady? I wonder. Logically impossible. Are the wives such Good Samaritans..? The reasoning faculty of the audience is thus dampened. Kindly excuse if you sense sarcasm.

3. I don’t dare to call it a female-oriented movie. Yet, an offbeat film with quite bold and matured characters.

4. NEENA is quite experimental as well. To unravel the true meaning of the movie NEENA, you must look it from both feminist and humane perspectives. It would thus sound judgemental a bit.

5. Many would have noticed the quirk Nalini makes when she loses herself. She relies on overeating. Certainly, a sensible and emotional mannerism.

6. I have NO say on the sinful part of Vinay, a married man to fall in love with another woman-Neena. It might happen, though.


And I PRONOUNCE that the movie NEENA is a bit controversial AVANT-GARDE for Keralites.

CUT.

Comments

Popular Posts