An Open Letter to Chechi and Chettan


Dear Chechi and Chettan,

     You would probably be wondering why I wrote this note to you. If you assumed for a split second that this was typed out, out of oodles of love and affection, you are wrong. BELIEVE IT OR NOT. 

     The REALITY is that I was looking around for an escapism strategy from NET study time table scheduled by Papa. It was right then, calendar of May 2016 with the tagline ‘Reach Us to Reach Them’ hung on the wall above my study table caught my attention. And of course, the two digits 1 and 0 glued together were dancing out of the calendar with joy to the tunes of Kuch Rang Pyaar Ke Aise Bhi. Also, a myriad of photographic memories unintentionally paved my way to 10th May 2015.  

     I felt like somebody helping to drill into my skull a few personal episodes beginning from Chettan’s first meeting with Chechi. Writing this letter to help you take a trip down (Y)OUR one year long memory lane was the foremost idea that popped up in my brain. 

     Trust me, this would be truly from my perspective and you shouldn’t be complaining if you find yourself insecure about anything. And readers, after reading you might finally agree to terms that I’m not an “emotionless brute” –very unlikely though- as a born critic (Oru Abhyudhayakaamshi) often refers me. I BET. 

***********

   If I ask you how were you as a duo all these 366 days, I should be prepared enough to receive the most clichΓ©d answer ever. In that case, please ponder over how you find each other pre-marriage and post-marriage. As I’m blessed with a special skill to read between the lines, I know my sister’s very positive reply. BUT I’m a bit curious about my brother’s response. 

  One day my best friend asked me to define the term ‘gentleman’. Even though a little thinking was required, I answered: “Gentleman is a genuine human being who as an exemplary personality and is willing to honestly say things that have to be said out and can act accordingly in both favourable and unfavourable circumstances.” 

  In my words, Chettan is a true gentleman although he doesn’t put himself on drama to show up that gentlemanliness often. Flattered Chettaa..?? If I’m really giving you this sort of a label, you should take it as an honour or a compliment. You know something...I have conferred ‘gentleman’ title upon only few men till date other than my Velyaangala; Shriman. Derick George (the best brother on earth) and my own Mr. Unique. My intimate friends very well know the criteria I follow for conferring upon one this title. Well...in that case shouldn’t you be giving a pat at your back right now for this special title??

    Nevil Chettaa.. You don’t know how much I longed for a brother after a mishap in our family. To me, it was not just a personal tragedy but a personal loss that ultimately took away my faculty of speech for nearly nine years OR maybe even now. There is a running joke in my gang that if someone addresses me ‘kunju phengal’ (little sister), I’ll trust them blindly and might do anything for them. Maybe my friends got me right. There were even suggestions from my circle that I should seek permission to call you by the name Savio: the ONLY name and person I admire. But I’m extremely sorry as the name ‘Savio’ is reserved for the Topper of my gentlemen list. Always keep my sister happy and you’ll win it shortly (no harm trying, bro).  

    Maybe it would be awkward to ask you this. Have you ever felt I didn’t meet upto your expectations of a younger sister? I don’t think, I did meet; for a simple reason that like others you too would be under the impression that I’m a stubborn girl. Of course, I’m. But there are also times I miraculously transform into an understanding girl. You duo should come over to Chennai and talk to me in person to realise it. Just count the number of days we have actually met and had face- to-face conversation? Approximately 10- 15, right? However, you proved during those days how good a partner you are for my sister. I clearly remember your race to locate a cobbler (amidst the hustle and bustle of Guruvayoor Nada) when Chechi’s slippers were broken while we were en route to Thrissur from Guruvayoor on December 22. There was a triumph on your face when you got her slippers done. When I shared this incident with my college friends they too agreed on my observation on how understanding a person you are. Mr & Mrs. Macarious, you’ve got a few fans here in Chennai as well. 

    To my chagrin, all those fans were also prejudiced enough to help enlighten me the age-old notion that a ‘son-in-law cannot stand for a son and a brother-in-law cannot stand for a brother’. I too would have slipped into such assumptions if you hadn’t proved it wrong. Putting aside the initial hiccups, you were there to help Papa and Mommy in all home chores. I couldn’t stop laughing when I heard that you both drove to Mammiyoor and cleaned our messy rooms out there. What if I say that was one of those moments I felt respect for the simple and humble soul inside you? Papa and Mommy share similar opinion although they don’t say it out. Please note that you now belong to a family who gives thumbs down to public display of love and affection. But you can’t complain, Chettaa...!! Anyways, congratulations on winning our hearts in a short span of time. 

Thanks for being a perfect half for my sister, 
a loving son for Papa and Mommy and 
the best Chettan for me. 

    At this point, it would be ingratitude if I deliberately omit mentioning Chettan’s family over there in Alappuzha. Like every newly married girl, Anu also seemed to be nervous about the new familial relationships she had to embrace (you didn’t show it though, Anu). But Chettan’s family made her feel so comfortable that she didn’t have to shrink herself. Thanks a ton to Uncle, Aunty, Noel and Nigil.  

    Well... I have been going on and on on Nevil Chettan and his circle. Anu must have been bored by now. I can hear her saying “Aiyo Kadavule....Mudiyalaye...” for the hundredth time. 

Okay...Apo ATTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCKKKK !!!

   Two years back when you finally showed interest in getting hitched; I thought things are moving swiftly as I pre-planned. Yeah, most things went well and have been going well by God’s grace too. Praise the Lord.

   I have seen your apprehensions about marriage and ideal partner, but that changed soon after you met Chettan. There were non-stop phone calls from Bellary to Chennai/ Thrissur regardless of the time of the day. Many a time Chettan’s heart broke when I insisted you to either stop talking over phone after 12AM or go to the balcony to carry forward your conversation. Did I really irk you with such adamant behaviour of mine? I don’t lament over it simply because I don’t have the habit of eavesdropping on one’s private conversation and that was why I used to shoo you away from the room. Plus I can sleep only in perfect silence and you know how much I admire the art of sleeping. 

  When I came back to Chennai after your wedding ceremony, my girls beleaguered me and put me under pressure with as many questions as they could. The weirdest question of all of them was how much I did miss you. I felt like slapping on their face for spitting out the word “missing” since ‘missing someone’ is altogether a distant thing for me. Yet without showing my disgust upon it, I answered: “I haven’t missed anyone till today nor will I.” To be honest, I never missed you this one whole year but I could see how much Papa and Mommy longed for you all this while. You and Chettan seemed to there in every word, thought and action of them. And I realized a daughter cannot be replaced by another daughter particularly when the latter is a “pissed off queen.” Be proud enough to proclaim to the whole world that you left an irreplaceable vacuum in our lives. 

  May I know how you settled down brilliantly into the routine of catching up on household errands over there at Bellary? Each time you send the photographs of the food you cooked over there, I imagine the sufficient experimentation you would have put through to make it edible. Of course, it looks attractive but I suspect the authenticity of it. Chettaa.. Are you sure that it no longer tastes terrific?? I know you won’t complain and will continue be at Anu’s side although she treats you with burnt chappatis and over-cooked chicken. 

   I have a question for you now.. Anu. Do you still bother to play rapid fire question-answer game with my ‘once upon a time’ kith and kin (lets call them quiz masters) targeting ‘Ammu- The Rebel’? 

   If yes, I would like to say... you haven’t changed much post marriage. And I’m extremely happy about it (no pun intended). You know why...such rapid fire session is meant to test and acknowledge your integrity with people around you- the best quality I admire you for but hate to practise it for personal reasons- and as always I appreciate those quiz masters agenda behind it. But I don’t know why, not even a single quiz master has shown the guts to turn up and play this game in my presence. So, if any quiz master is reading this open letter; for your own benefit let me satiate you all with a standard answer for all your questions: Till date, my family is my sole concern and I would go any extent to do anything for them no matter however much loaded your rapid fire pistol is. Get it? 

   This note might sound not-so-cool if no dose of fun is thrown in. As such is the case, I wish I could give Chettan a dare on your First Wedding Anniversary. It’s damn simple: I call papa by a nick name when I’m really really fond of him. Please find it out from Anu and call papa by that name on my behalf when you all meet on May 13th. Also please be aware that this is one of our family secrets and must not be leaked out to the public just like that. 

  BTW, did I wish you a very Happy First Wedding Anniversary? First you shower me with your wishes and blessings on my 24th Baptismal Anniversary that is today apparently. And I will think about wishing you guys too. 

   Anyways, May Ammamma’s and my little brother Savio’s blessings be with you!! 

Cheers,
Ammu 

Comments

  1. Hi, enjoyed reading. Me too lifetime student of eng literature. Embarked on your blog just now.

    Sukhi
    Bijapur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Ms. Sukhi. Keep visiting.

      Delete
  2. Please do visit mine too πŸ˜πŸ˜‰πŸ€—πŸ˜‡

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if I say I already had a flip round your blog?!! To be honest, I even deduced how a lady from Bijapur would have landed on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts