To Melchior, With Love

 I must profess that it’s been an incredible journey for our family since the day you landed on earth. Each and every day since January 17, 2017 seemed to be equally exciting and challenging as you could carry away all of us to another realm through your magical charm. We are so blessed to have such a lovely munchkin like you in our family. 

My son, you wouldn’t believe how difficult it was for your Amy when your Amma made that mom-to-be announcement to me over the telephone. To be honest, I would be the only one in the entire world who wouldn’t have had leapt for joy when your Amma said that she was carrying you. I was quite depressed simply because I felt that you would snatch away the “youngest member” privileges I always had proudly held on to. My heart neither longed to see you nor your Amma. I know that you might feel, this aunt deserves a tight slap on her left cheek for this childish act. Of course, I do. 

During the first trimester days, Amma paid us a visit to Chennai. The moment I saw her with you inside her minibump, I began counting down the days until your arrival. Yes, I felt that I was at the crest of something very ethereal. Amy most certainly wanted to see you like yesterday!!! Every time I accompanied her to Madras Medical Mission for an ultrasound (to see how you were doing); I so desperately wanted to see you. Sadly, Dr. Gayathri didn’t allow Amy inside the room for legal reasons. But, such restrictions couldn’t resist me from visualizing your image in my head. Once you grow up, Amma would tell you how adamant I was that I wanted the first-born of our family to be a male child. Had prenatal sex discernment been not illegal in India, I would’ve pleaded your Amma to go for it (your affectionate mother would’ve had torn my skin off if I had made such an erroneous request). There were times I had repeatedly called you by the name "Ejo” inviting only scolding from everyone at home. When everybody said it wouldn’t be a baby boy, I went and asked earnestly to Mother Mary and Blessed Sacrament at Santhome Church to graciously grant my wish. And my prayers were duly answered by sending the best nephew I could ever ask for. I don’t know if your Amma still own that tiny blue rosary I got for you from St. Antony’s Church, Nagampadam anticipating that the baby would definitely be a boy.        

Your Amy now remembers the hardships your Amma went through when she was pregnant with you. Her skin became darker day by day; her abdomen got stretched further and further creating gruesome narrow streaks. I witnessed her discomfort laying herself in the cot and very slowly turning sides while sleeping. Nobody ever had seen her complaining about the physical ailments she had from time to time. Nor anyone saw her wailing the difficulties with regard to the little flaps and kicks you used to give her at times. For the first time in my life, I saw those days Amma taking serious and systematic interest in her diet and daily routine. She refrained herself from taking all those foods that would affect the health of her unborn baby including those bottles of soft drinks she had always craved for. In order to ease the pain, your Amma listened to soul soothing melodies. Amidst the official work, your Appa never missed a chance to sing for her (and for you, of course) over telephone (No wonder why you are passionate about music at such a tender age, Abel). Sitting in two neighboring States, they were seen praying together for your safe and sound arrival too.     

As my ever-dutiful sister had her due date nearing, she without resorting to anyone at home ensured that her hospital kit was all set. Regardless of her watermelon size belly, she made it a point to mop our 1250 sq. feet flat regularly so that she could have a very active and safe normal delivery. I guess the given were the foremost plain steps she had taken to accustom herself to welcome you into the new phase of her life.  

On January 16, 2017 your Amma moved to the hospital along with Appa as there were hints that you would come into the world anytime. They stayed there overnight and by 2AM on January 17, 2017 your Appa rang us to inform that Amma was in active labour. Appappan and Ammamma rushed to the hospital and heard Amma crying out for Mother Mary to help reduce her excruciating labor pain. Since the amniotic fluid had been leaking for some time, the doctors with your father’s permission went for an emergency C-section. And at 4:56AM you were born. My respect for your mother reached peak high when I came to know that your Amma was too co-operative with the labor room staff unlike other expectant mothers. All I want to emphasize upon is what our housemaid Leelavathy Akka once told us: “Uyir poyi uyir varathu thaan labour pain.” Treat your Mother with Utmost Respect, my son.  

Your Appa is not a loser when it comes to taking care of you. Right from the days of conception to birth (and even now), he stood by Amma and gave due concern and priority to all her requirements. He wholeheartedly took in charge of the household chores when Amma used to be exhausted. Not only your mother, your Appa too sacrificed his sleeps whenever you were ailing. Leaving behind his office works, he visited Chennai quite often with the intention that he could spend ample time with his son. I’ve seen him playing Bansuri exclusively for you and you listening to it with rapt attention. He was so stern that he would solely bear the expenses of his heir’s Baptismal Ceremony in foil to how it had to be practiced in Kerala. In fact, you have been named Melchior by your far-sighted father albeit the oppositions from all corners. I’m cent sure that your recordical name would help you to turn your wheel of fortune sometime in future. Love your Father Unconditionally, my son.       



Looking at the photographs in my gallery, I reminisce that elated moment I saw you for the first time in the hands of the nursing sister; Nirmala. Tears welled up in my eyes for no reason when you were literally in front me. You were an enthralling and heart-warming tiny tot, I always wanted to cuddle with. Initially, I was totally less confident to hold you- the newborn baby- in my arms. As time would have it, I sought lessons from your caretaker Bindu so that I can attend you in no nervousness. Do you know when you gave us your first real smile? That was when Ammamma made a fake gesture that she was going to slap Amy. Once I assisted Ammamma to take you to the vaccination drive. Before the nurse took out the syringe to inject into your delicate thighs, I became so restless. That vaccine shot hurt Amy more than it hurt you, Abel. I had always assumed that I have had strong control over my tear glands till the day you and Amma were ceremoniously taken to your father’s house after your Christening and subsequently to Bellary forever.  

Melchior

I miss you every second of my life.

Be an invincible and unique boy. 

I wish I could very soon show you someone whom you can always look up to as an exemplary role model.   

Seeing you grow up is fun but I just don’t want you to grow up so fast.

I Love You to Mars and Back. 


Happy Birthday, Melchior. 

With Love
Amy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts