The Remains of College Days

Dorothy Parker says, “Women and elephants don’t forget.” I must differ her as I suppose there is no generic difference when it comes to recalling particularly those photographic college memories etched on our hearts. The sky is the limit for making such priceless memories. No wonder why Mark Zuckerberg rolled out the thought –‘On This Day’- to flashback our memories with our Facebook friends. Thanks a billion to him to help recollect me and my friends this ROTFL episode occurred during our two years of Postgraduation:

On a sweltering morning, Namitha, Steni and I were pushed in to attend the PhD Open- Viva session of a diligent lady candidate nearing her naughty forties. Not anything did we track down from her paper presentation except the sensitive fact of the presence of Yin-Yang standard balance in every human being. Luckily, we all were seated at the very front row of the Conference Hall so that we could survey the cluster of grey hair of the PhD woman tucked well-inside her natural hair. At once the agonising Viva got over; we squandered our time in the college canteen and then were making our way back to M-2-10. To my dismay, I noticed some curious eyes in our campus scanning me from head to toe and making amiss gestures. 

I halted as I was on a hunch. 

Turning towards my friends I quizzed, “Why everyone is staring at me? Do I resemble a racoon without having my eyebrows done and arms unwaxed?”

“I’m also noticing the sudden turn of navarasas on others’ faces when you pass by,” alarmed Namitha. 

“But you look normal, Meritta,” Steni consoled me.

However, the duo without sparing another second began to frantically inspect me. They were literally twirling me in such a way that the whole campus had ample fun seeing their impulse. 

“Some silly girls always manage to get something to laugh about,” called out Namitha furiously in the midst of their inspection. 

Nothing could back my friends out from the task they were invested in. At the same time, I should confess that, their efforts would have gone in vain if at all that good Samaritan from the north pole of the campus hadn’t made her appearance and whispered to us something I never ever wanted to listen to.

She in a fallible voice blurted out, “You have put your pants the wrong way round.” 

I looked damn embarrassingly down at my palazzo pants and culled out the true cause for others’ eccentricity on me. 

An avalanche of emotions cropped up on my friends’ precarious faces that said, “It happens.”  

“Such an impromptu remark”, I chuckled. 

And my close-to-heart friends laughed their heads off that made our day an indispensably memorable one. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts