Memorabilia

     

     There would be certain things for anyone that remain always untold to even people closest to their hearts. Yes, one’s ego inhibits him from opening his heart and things are left unsaid just like that. Some might excuse themselves by saying they didn’t get a chance to be frank enough to people around them. Some might say time and place weren’t idle for them to say what they ought to be saying. 

     However, one should not cling onto such lame excuses because untold things would turn out to be ‘happy memories ever after’; if they are told. I feel maybe this is the right time for me to open my secret box of untold things and frankly tell my close friends how much I would be missing each one of them the years ahead. 

    Dear trio, it might look a bit odd if I list out every memory I have with you. Hence kindly excuse and be contented with the ‘closest to heart’ one.   

Minu

     It would be a repetition if I say all that I have already said to you when we were waiting for 29C after Bernie Ma’am’s farewell function. In that case, I feel I must share the best memories I have with you, dear laggard of SMC: 14/PELA. 

One

     When you would come to class running thirty minutes past 8 am you used to give a look through the second door for giving the special smile reserved only for me. And, I too had a ‘you lazybones, lets see how you are going to get attendance?’ smile set aside just for you. Then you would seek permission from the teacher to enter the class bringing up the ‘tenth rasa’ on your face. The poor teacher who seemed to be clueless of your ‘tenth rasa’ then would let you in with attendance. You would be happily walking to your place and turn to your right leaving a grin at me. And, I too would grin back at you as if I always wanted the teacher to mark attendance for you. 

     One day as usual you were hurrying towards M-2-10. You looked me through the back door and gave me my share of your love. I too had a glimpse of you but didn’t bother to reciprocate and in a trice got back to the work I was busy doing. After a second or two when I turned to the corridor again, I found you standing there at the same place with a gloomy face. Immediately I got back to my senses and chanted "Through my fault, Through my fault, Through my most grievous fault” and smiled back at you. You looked satisfied then as if a KUNJU in MANJA frock offered you a plate of KANJI. (See, I am getting that ‘NJA’ thing right after your tuition). And then you entered the classroom with utmost happiness and serenity. 

Two.

     I had never been scared of continuous assessment tests till the final semester but the minute you asked for EDITING favours took me to Roller Coaster ride of Wonderla. Thanks for such free of cost Roller Coaster rides. However, you had great fun testing my patience to the core by bringing your drafts in the last minute one after the other and getting them proof read. By such inhumane actions, were you essentially proving to the whole world that there were also times Meritta didn’t get pissed off and was wholehearted to extend her hand? 

PERFECT!!! 

And a big THANKS for such assumptions. 

Steni

My Bengaaaaaaliiiiii Aniyathi Kutty...,
     Do you want me to speak in your native tongue my Hindi teacher?? Okay, I will try.

Meri gudiyaa, tum toh mera right hand ho. Jo bhi tum karogi soch samajkar hi karogi. 

(Engane ondu? Thakarthaa..?)

     My girl, how did you really tolerate my impatience and mood swings? A BIG SALUTE TO YOU. Maybe because I was too honest to you and didn’t hide anything from you since the days we became closer. Normally I lie to people and get rid of them when I feel myself being exploited. But I didn’t have to wear a mask before you because you were (will remain) my Aniyathikutti. I will NEVER forget hamara rashtra bhasha lessons you taught and North Indian tales you narrated to me and Nami. You brought the entire North India to us through your own ‘North Indian Cultural Studies Curriculum.’ By now, I and Nami know what North India plus North Indians like and dislike.  (Right Nami..?). 

    In addition, your entire family particularly your Mookkannoor extended family has become like our next-door folks. Regards to the entire Catering Team (Aashaan, Joby Chettan, your little cousin Antal so and so). We will all be there for Joby Chettan’s marriage although we aren’t invited.  

     BTW, Can you believe the poignant fact that our back door entry to 29C is just a memory now?? Don’t you think we should be thanking all the rash drivers, cool conductors, greedy ticket checkers, serious uncle jis, gossiping aunty jis, flirty annas and Ms. Pageant akkas for making our 29C journeys a memorable and special one?? 

I have a question to you and Minu right now. Why there were genuine smiles on yours and Minu’s faces when you both used to wave your hands at me after alighting 29C at Sterling Bus stop?? Mind answering my question, Please. 

THANKS for every single help you offered me. 

You are one of those few genuine individuals I have ever seen. You will remain in my heart forever, my dearest Jharkhandiiiiii..!!!! 

Namitha 

I KNOW, YOU KNOW, WE ALL KNOW
that 
you are a bjooooootiful girl but I never knew you were a bjoooootiful girl until my younger brother (Nanthu) pointed it out. Thanks to his aesthetic sense. 

     Nami, May I now know why you were so much fascinated about my future than yours? Why wasn’t there a single day in our two years without a subtle reference to Mr. Srivastava; and Savio, Satwik and Saira? I presume it all began as a follow-up of my mother’s banter that I might end up marrying Mr. Rao or Mr. Singh or Mr. Srivastava but not a Kerala catholic guy. And you duo (you and Steni) didn’t spare me since then. Well.. thanks paying heed to only ONE man (Mr. Srivastava) out of the entire big list.   

     However, fantasizing Mr. Srivastava used to be a cake walk for you, Nami. The other day you and Steni were in an air of excitement predicting Mr. Srivastava’s looks, skills and even integrity. One said he would be a Bangalore based writer and the other came up with another fantastic (damn weird) remark that he would be only few centimeters taller than me. Hats off to your visualization skills. But trust me at least now, if at all someone dares walk into my life he WILL be a Kerala Christian boy. 

     So my dear Nami, will you do the honor of coming back from the fantasy world (Mr. Srivastava’s) and be mentally prepared to come for my wedding with a Nasrani? You may come in a Kalamkari Saree or even in a Palazzo

No worries, my girl.

There are a million memories You, Steni and I share equally but ONE among them stay very close to my heart. I am not sure if you would be remembering it but to me this is the most significant ONE ever and forever: 


     Like everyone you too know that chicken pox days were the most terrible days of my two year long Post Graduation life. I clearly remember the amount of care and attention you gave me when I was physically and emotionally down. The phone calls, text messages and regular contacts substantiate the same. I still recollect the day I came to college after my medical leave. The first hour was Children’s Literature. As usual I was there before the first bell. A few girls kept a strange distance from me as they feared that they would also be down with chicken pox if they sit next to me. I understood the situation and kept myself away from them because I wasn’t generous enough to help them experience the ‘joyful moments’ of chickenpox. Also, my Amma had advised me to stay away from other girls since she was unwilling to share with their mothers the ‘privileges’ of having a chickenpox infected daughter at home. 

    However, after the second bell, you two slipped into the classroom and ran towards my seat. Steni sat to my left (as usual) and Nami to my right (Nami used to sit in the other side till second semester..Remember?).  You both looked super-thrilled listening to my chickenpox stories and kept asking me questions one after the other. I patiently answered almost all questions and finally asked you: “Njigal ku randuperkkum ithinu munbu chickenpox vannitundo?" ("Have you got chicken pox before?") Immediately you both nodded your heads and answered: “Illa, Vannittilla”.  

     I suddenly burst out with anger and shooed you both away from my place. To my surprise, you girls neither moved from there nor uttered a word instead gave a brilliant GIGGLE that made my day. 

You guys knew my pulse and stood with/for me always.

This is one of the finest memories I have with you my dear 
Nami and Steni.  
Dear Nami and Steni,

If my wallet got empty, you were there to pay my bills. If I hadn’t studied well for the tests, you were there to teach and make me pass. When I was sick, you were there to give extra love and affection. When I desperately wanted a library book, you were there to sacrifice your slot for me

Dear trio


     THANKS for the good times. 
It would be a clichĂ© if I say I would cherish and treasure every moment I had with you. 
Annaalum oru bhangikku athum erikkattee.....  

Good Luck pillereee....  

God Bless !!


Comments

  1. Meritta mol, my love, how can I not be concerned of your future with our one and only Mr. Srivastava, who is still unknown. :P However I'll try my best to console myself when you end up with a 'nasrani cherukkan'(but a writer, mind it!). I'll definitely miss out on a Northie Jeeju. :D But I still have hope in our Stenimol ;)
    My dear, yes you're one of those few significant people in my life whom I'll cherish forever.I don't know why but we couldn't stop talking ever. And I'll miss that so much..chatting with you guys in the canteen and during the lectures on anything and everything. Ah..how can I forget the joy of eating from one lunch box. All five hands and a box! I'll miss everything we did together.
    Love you lots,
    Namitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I missed to mention the epic part. THE LUNCHBOX.
      Amma's Appams plus vegetable kurma and our tussle to try our hands on atleast one Appam. Love those days....!!!!

      Delete
    2. Yeahhh!<3 "Annie's kitchen" it is!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that u were writing blogs...good work..all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sruthi. How are you? Been a long time.
      Haha. Thanks dear. I created this profile long back. Was looking for a platform to dump all our assignments and term papers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts